Until 1860, Place des Fêtes belonged to the commune of Belleville. It then became the place where village festivals were held. Right next to Place des Fêtes, the French physician Claude Chappe (1763-1805), the inventor of the telegraph, set up his device at a height of 420 feet on the site of the current Rue du Télégraphe. The Place des Fêtes district, a great place to take a walk street by street. The district reveals its little treasures. Place des Fêtes has a modern maze fountain by artist Marta Pan and a translucent obelisk that lights up at night.