Until 1937, this area of Paris was known as the Santé district in reference to Rue de la Santé, which runs alongside it. Bordered by Boulevard Saint-Jacques, Rue de la Tombe Issoire, and the beltway, it is a district that is often overlooked by expats. Created in 1860 by Baron Haussmann, it was previously part of the Gentilly commune. Primarily rural, it became a sort of shanty town before being renovated into a pleasant, airy place to live. The last buildings constructed were completed in the 2000s. It is one of the few areas of Paris to have single-family houses.