Situated in west Paris, between the Trocadéro and the Bois de Boulogne, the Maison de la Radio district lies on the right bank of the Seine. However, for centuries the surrounding area was primarily rural, outside the limits of Paris. The arrondissement was created when the towns of Auteuil and Passy were annexed in 1860. It is a bourgeois district occupied by the capital's wealthiest classes. It is also very popular for its green spaces, which let it breathe despite the dense population.