The Grands Boulevards district takes its name from the large roads running through it. The Grands Boulevards symbolize the glory the area enjoyed during the 19th century. Place de l'Opéra is a fine example of the work done by the architect Haussmann throughout the area. Boulevard des Italiens used to be the place where the extravagant Merveilleuses and Incroyables strutted their stuff. Yet more astonishing is the fact that the very first movie screening was held by the Lumière brothers in 1895 at number 14, Boulevard des Capucines!